Monday, June 13, 2011

Introductions

Hello and welcome to the insanity! ^.-

I suppose I should explain the reason this is called Nobody's Corner. At the beginning of this last school year, instead of introducing myself as my real name, I introduced myself as follows. "I'm Nobody, because Nobody's perfect." And ever since then, my friends and I make all sorts of ridiculous puns from it.
So, this is Nobody's Corner.

Now, the purpose of this blog is to present my 2010 NaNo Novel to my friends who have asked me to share it. It took me this long, but I am taking this opportunity to give myself a good kick in the butt to get the novel edited and ready to be joined by two more novels in the trilogy. I am freaking out right now about sharing it with everyone, but I figure I'll never get anywhere with my writing if I won't even let my friends read it.
And so, here we are. =)
One more thing I should explain is how this novel came to be. NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a once a year challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. That's about 1,667 words a day. I've attempted it three times now, but officially reached the goal last November.
Heading on to the actual writing, I'll go ahead and give you an excerpt from it and a short summary:
This story follows two teenage girls with similar, but also very different life situations who are thrown into the chaos of another world. Vanessa has been an orphan since she was nine, and enters the world of Specials, Illusion, in an attempt to find her mother and discover what happened to her father.
Evelyn is from a strict military home, and is soon brought to Illusion by Ryan. He convinces her to come by telling her that she must save the world. What he forgets to mention, is the price that she must pay to do it.
Excerpt from Earth and Illusion: The Defenders. =)

“What do you mean, only the people who are here will live?” I asked, trying to keep up with Ryan's strides.

He stopped, turning to me. “Look, Evelyn, the reason you are here is not to save everyone. No one could do that. You are here to save this island. You will have to put a giant bubble around the entire thing and hope it sticks. That’s why you’re here. That’s why we are training you. That's why you're the only one who could do it, because no one else is strong enough. You are our last hope."

I shook my head. "Yeah, I've heard all that before. I still don't understand what you are so worked up about."
"Evelyn, if you choose to save everyone, you will die."

No comments:

Post a Comment